It can be comforting to curl up in front of a warm, cosy, crackling fire on a cold winter’s night. But, before you light yours for the first time this year, it’s vital you make sure it’s in good working order and fit for the winter or you could be putting your family and home at risk.
Between 2010 and 2014, Kent Fire and Rescue Service tackled almost 1,350 chimney fires in Kent and Medway. One of the main causes is not having your chimney swept regularly. Dirty chimneys can cause fires which damage structures, destroy homes and injure or kill people.
We know how busy life gets and that it’s all too easy to forget the important things in life. Sign up to our clean sweep alert and you can rely on Kent Fire and Rescue Service to send you a friendly reminder to get your chimney swept and inspected as well as useful tips to keep you and your loved ones safe.
Do you use an open fire, wood or log burning stove, Aga or other ‘real flame’ appliance in your home. Follow our top tips to help avoid a fire and keep your family and home safe:
- Dirty chimneys cause fires – keep them swept
- Things you can do
- How will you know if you have a chimney fire
- What you should do if you think your chimney is on fire
- Carbon monoxide – do you know the danger signs?
- Find a certified chimney sweep
Keeping your family and home warm and safe should be a top priority
What price would you put on their safety?
Sign up for the free KFRS clean sweep email alert to receive an email in summer to remind you to get your chimney swept and properly maintained:
- It’s safe and you can sign up in seconds
- It will help prevent fires and structural damage to your home or business