Candle warning following fire

Kent Fire and Rescue LogoKent Fire and Rescue Service has warned the public to take extra care when using candles over the Christmas holidays following a fire in Herne Bay.

Crews were called to a fire in a flat at Chislet Court, Herne Bay. They were confronted with a severely smoke logged property and had to use breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke.

It appears the fire was caused when a candle was accidentally knocked over.

KFRS Crew Manager Graeme Browning said “The resident did the right thing and vacated the flat, closing the door and calling 999.  Sadly the flat is very badly smoke damaged.

“Christmas is a time when candles are more often in use and I would like to remind everyone to take a few simple precautions. Always use a candle holder on a non-flammable surface where it can’t be knocked over.  Don’t place candles close to curtains, bedding or Christmas decorations that could catch fire, or on window sills or the floor.  And please do put candles out before going to bed.  We want everyone to stay safe over Christmas.”

Kent Fire and Rescue Service 23/12/2015

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *