Top tips on how to be Deaf Aware
- Make sure you have the attention of the person before you start speaking
- Places with good lighting and little or no background noise are best for conversations
- Use plain language, normal lip movements and facial expressions
- Check whether the person understands what you are saying and, if not, try saying it in a different way.
- Keep your voice down as it’s uncomfortable for hearing aid user if you shout.
- Learn basic finger spelling or some basic British Sign Language (BSL)