Following a survey they carried out last year, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPSA) published the following tips for a safe Halloween!
- Candles are used at Halloween, so please use them carefully.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Don’t allow children to play with or be around lit candles. Use battery operated candles instead.
- When outside, ensure children can be seen in the dark. Ensure they wear something reflective such as a reflective strip or a glow stick, and carry a torch.
- If outside, ensure children are supervised by a suitable adult.
- Remind children of how to cross roads safely before leaving home.
- Remove any Halloween make-up or fake blood immediately, if irritation occurs. It could be the first indication of an allergic reaction to something within the cosmetic.
- Dressing up costumes should be tested against the toy standards’ flammability requirements and carry a CE mark. But remember that even these costumes need to be kept away from naked flames.
- Please be aware that items you may make or use may not have had any flammability testing so could ignite easily.
- Follow the Firework Code (see www.saferfireworks.com for more information).
Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents 26 October 2015