Gas Safety Week has ended but remember these six simple steps to help keep you safe and warm in your home:
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances.
You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk (check out our graphic below) or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
- Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year.
If you rent your home ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Go to gassaferegister.co.uk
- Select Find an Engineer from the menu at the top
Enter your postcode
- Check the business has an engineer qualified to work on your appliance
- Call 3 or 4 businesses to get the best price and check availability
To find this information in future go to Local Information > Safety and Security > Gas Safety