Kent County Council Public Protection have had reports of doorstep criminals targeting residents in the Ashford area for loft insulation work.
- Residents are cold-called
- The doorstep criminal claims to be from the Council
- The resident is offered a ‘free’ survey for loft insulation
- Once a price is mentioned by the criminal they then use pressure tactics including telling the resident their property value will decrease if they do not have the work done
What to do
- NEVER agree to work from someone who knocks on your door uninvited
- Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into having work done
- If you ask them to leave and they don’t, contact the police on 999
- Use reputable traders who are members of the KCC Trading Standards approved trader scheme, run in partnership with Checkatrade
- Get a minimum of 3 quotes in writing
Please warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.
If you loft needs insulation you may be eligible for funding check the Warm Homes scheme
DOORSTEP CRIME IS FINANCIAL ABUSE
Help us prevent vulnerable people from becoming victims of doorstep crime and financial abuse. Watch the video and learn to spot the signs of doorstep crime and financial abuse. Please help to protect your family members, neighbours and friends.We know doorstep criminals tell us our roof tiles are loose, our chimney stacks are dangerous, our trees are diseased and our driveways need jet washing.
Even if you’re not sure if they are a criminal tell us anyway, we want to know.