The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is consulting on two sets of reforms to the planning system.
The first, Changes to the current planning system, includes:
- changes to the standard method for assessing local housing need
- securing of First Homes through developer contributions
- temporarily lifting the small sites threshold
- extending the current Permission in Principle to major development
This is likely to increase the assessed need for housing in Ashford.
The second, Planning for the future, relates to the wider changes that have been announced by the government. The Government press release states that the proposals include:
- plans to overhaul outdated planning system and reform the way the country builds
- Plans to streamline process, cut red tape and harness technology to deliver homes faster
- Valued green spaces protected for future generations, with more building on brownfield land
- Building beautiful homes with communities at heart of new planning system
- 30% discount through First Homes, with an emphasis on key workers