Public access defibrillators

You may have seen on the local news that British Heart Foundation are working with other organisations to create a database of Public Access Defibrillators. Known as the National Defibrillator Network this will allow any member of the public to quickly locate a defibrillator when one is needed. Unfortunately the service is not likely to be ready for several months.

In the meantime defibrilllators can be registered on the existing database operated by HeartSafe, who supply defibrillators. A defibrillator does not have to be supplied through HeartSafe to be included on its database.

If you know of an organisation that has a public access defibrillator please ask them to register it on HeartSafe.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service now have defibrillators at all fire stations.


The case for change: emergency admissions

As many as four in 10
emergency admissions to hospital
could be avoided
if the right care was available in the community

We all want health and social care services that can meet our needs now and in the future.  However, health, social and public health services face new challenges that mean they need to change the way they work to improve care and get better value for the money that is available.

To find out more about the Case for Change and the emerging Sustainability and Transformation plan that will set out the strategy for dealing with the challenges that face health, social and public health services visit:

Transforming health and social care in Kent and Medway website
http://kentandmedway.nhs.uk/ and

Better health and care in east Kent website



Are you looking for urgent help or advice

We have added details of some national helplines to our links page https://southashford.org.uk/index.php/417-2/#helplines

Women’s Aid www.womensaid.org.uk/information-support/helpline/ Tel: 0808 2000 247
provides services to women and children experiencing domestic violence.

Samaritans www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us Tel:116 123. or
visit the local branch www.samaritans.org/branches/samaritans-ashford-and-tenterden
offers confidential and emotional support for those who are experiencing despair.

Saneline www.sane.org.uk/what_we_do/support/  0300 304 7000 from 4:30pm – 10:30pm every evening
offers information and support for those with mental health issues.

FRANK www.talktofrank.com/contact-frank Tel: 0300 123 6600,
Need a quick answer? Text a question and FRANK will text you back Text 82111 or
Chat online www.talktofrank.com/livechat 2pm – 6pm every day
helps people with drug problems.

Drinkline Tel: 0300 123 1110
free, confidential helpline for people who are concerned about their drinking, or someone else’s.

Shelter http://england.shelter.org.uk/contact_us Tel: 0808 800 4444
offers housing advice.

Runaway www.runawayhelpline.org.uk/advice/  Tel or Text 116 000,
Chat online using link above, or
email: 116000@runawayhelpline.org.uk
advises young people aged 17 if they are thinking about running away, if they have already run away, or if they have been away and come back and those that are worried that someone else is going to run away or if they are being treated badly or abused.

Childline www.childline.org.uk/get-support/ Tel: 0800 1111,
Chat online: www.childline.org.uk/get-support/1-2-1-counsellor-chat/, or
Email: www.childline.org.uk/locker/inbox/
helps children or young people in distress. Tel: 0800 1111

Silverline www.thesilverline.org.uk/ Tel: 0800 470 8090
provides information, friendship and advice for older folk.

Got a minor injury? Wait less!

The NHS in east Kent have launched a new app to help you find the best care if you have a minor injury. Don’t head straight to A&E! Download the WaitLess app and see if you can get faster treatment at a minor injuries unit.

WaitLess is a smartphone app that has been designed to help you to get the right treatment – fast.

WaitLess uses real-time updates and geo-location technology, to give you current waiting times at all of our A&E and minor injuries units in east Kent – drawn from the official NHS system.

This information is combined with up-to-the-minute travel time information, giving a ranking of the best places to aim for if you have a minor injury. (more…)

Prepare for flooding

In the third of our posts on preparing for winter we bring information from the Environment Agency on preparing for flooding.

Make a flood plan

Plan how you’ll respond to a flood. Use a template to make a:

Protect your property

You can:

You may need permission to do work that will affect the flow of a river or divert flood water. (more…)

KFRS is recruiting on-call fire firefighters

All sorts of people can be on-call firefightersKent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) is recruiting on-call fire firefighters and you could be just the person that we are looking for!

On-call firefighters come in all shapes and sizes, all ages and from all walks of life – office workers, beauticians, farmers, bankers, builders, stay-at-home-parents. It doesn’t matter whether you are already working or not, KFRS wants to hear from you if you are:

  • At least 18 years old
  • Have a good all round level of fitness
  • Live or work within five minutes of one of the recruiting on-call fire stations and
  • Able to offer the hours we need to deal with the risk in your area


Burns first aid – Cool, Call, Cover

Cool, call and cover

      • Cool the burn with running cool tap water for 20 minutes and remove all clothing and jewellery.
      • Call for help – 999, 111 or your local GP for advice.
      • Cover with cling film while transferring to a hospital/GP surgery.

The hospital/GP should apply a sterile dressing. Cling film should not be left on a burn for more than a few hours and only while wounds are being assessed by health professionals.

#BeBurnsAware #Coolcallcover

Getting through

parking-image-for-webRubbish bin not emptied?

A minor inconvenience.

House burns down?

A devastating, life changing experience.

On some occasions, the council is unable to empty your bin because vehicles are blocking access to the road.

fire-engine-with-sizeBut if a refuse truck can’t get down the road, neither can a fire engine at a time when you might really need it to. Just a small delay could result in unimaginable consequences.

We know parking can be tight on roads. But please think about whether a large vehicle can get through next time you park.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is working with Canterbury City Council and Serco to make people
aware of the need to leave space for our fire engines and refuse trucks when parking on narrow streets.

105 is the new number to call if you have a powercut



It’s free of charge and will put you through to your local network operator who can give you help and advice.

WHY 105?

Many people don’t know they should contact their local electricity network operator if they have a power cut. They often mistakenly call the electricity supplier they pay their bills to.

That’s why the electricity network operators have introduced 105 – to give you an easy-to-remember number to call that will put you through to the local people who can help.

You can call 105 no matter who you choose to buy electricity from. (more…)