Many of us will be dusting down the decorations or buying new, ready to decorate our homes for Christmas.If you are using old decorations make sure you check electrical products for damage and loose wires before you plug them in.
Be careful not to overload sockets especially if you’re using extension leads – use this socket calculator to find out if you’re exceeding the maximum load.If you’re buying new decorations this year then make sure you buy from reputable retailers. Fake electrical goods are not safe; causing electric shocks and fires.
One in six people in the UK has bought a fake electrical item as a Christmas present
Before you buy:
- Check the packaging and item carefully – look for spelling mistakes
- Check the plug – it must have 3 pins
- Choose a reputable business – watch out for offers online that seem too good to be true
- Find out how to spot fake electrical products
- Are your Christmas lights safe?
Kent County Council 15 December 2017