When we plan to carry out the work and how long it will take:
This is to let you know that, as part of the on-going maintenance and improvement of the highway network, Kent County Council will be strengthening and resurfacing the circulatory of the roundabout and approaches at the junction with Gallagher Retail Park/ B&Q access Rd
The work will take 3 nights to complete, between 28th July 2017 and 1st Aug 2017 (excluding the weekend). All work will be between the hours of 7.30pm and 5am. This type of work can be affected by bad weather, so if it is not possible for us to carry it out at this time, we will arrange a new date and let you know via a letter drop to your home. We will also put up signs along the road, before we start, showing the date we plan to start work.
What we plan to do:
- We will remove some of the existing road surface by a method known as milling. The complete area will then be swept by a mechanical sweeper to ensure the prepared surface is clean and free of dust and debris.
- If required, the existing manhole covers or rain water gully gratings will be adjusted or replaced to the correct level before the new surface is laid. Please note that this operation is noisy and can be prolonged as it is carried out using pneumatic hand tools.
- The new surfacing material will then be laid using a machine called a paver and compacted with a roller. This is a relatively quick process and dependant on the design will either be a one or two layer process.
- Finally, following completion of the surfacing, all associated high friction surfacing and road markings will be re-painted.
- The road will then be re-opened.
Please note that during the whole process, audible warning reversing sirens will be heard; this is a health and safety requirement and cannot be turned off but will be kept to a minimum.
How you can help
During these essential works, it will be necessary to close Norman Road, between the junction with Beaver Road and Romney Marsh Road so that we can carry out the works safely for both the workforce and road users. There will be limited access via the diversion route to Gallagher Retail Park and B & Q. An alternative diversion route for traffic will be signed whilst the road is closed. The diversion route for through traffic along Norman Road will be Beaver Road, Kingsnorth Road/ Wotton Rd/ Malcolm Sargent Rd / A2042 Romney Marsh Road. The footways will remain open at all times and pedestrian access to businesses and residential properties will be available.
It is inevitable that residents and businesses near the works will experience some disruption and we apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused, but we will try to keep this to a minimum. Access to properties will need to be restricted for a short period while work is carried out in front of each property and across road junctions. If you have any particular access needs, please let the workforce on the site know.
We need your help to make sure the work is done as quickly as possible and to the best possible quality. If your vehicle is usually parked on the carriageway, please make sure you park it somewhere else away from the site whilst the works are carried out, so the road is clear for us to resurface.
If you need more information, please call us on 03000 418181
You can also visit our website www.kent.gov.uk/highways to find out how we look after the roads throughout
Kent or report any faults you find on our roads.
For your safety and the safety of our workforce, please drive carefully and slowly through the road works.
Kent County Council 10 July 2017